The student news site of DuBois Central Catholic School

Cardinal Chatter

LADY CARDS SET TEAM MARK

Tom Shade, Contributor

It was once the site of the District Nine championships before all the present-day runners were born, but in 2017 it is the where the Punxsutawney Invitational took place with the DCC cross country runners establishing marks for future harriers to challenge.

Highlighting the day were the first medals earned by Lady Cards in 36 years. Both Emily & Beth Williams have consistently been the first two runners in all competitions this season for the girls, and they performed in solid form on the flat, rolling, soft course at 69 degrees.

Emily took 7th with a 23:26.9, while Beth(25:34.9) grabbed 14th place to secure hardware for DCC.

“This was a long time coming for the school as we have not seen an invitational medal for the girls since 1981 when the now legendary Mary Lee Pisarchick did so with a 2nd place at the great Moshannon Valley Invitational, considered an important league championship at that time. Both Emily & Beth have the potential to medal at any invite we compete at next year. Many of our boys were unable to run today, and I believe they had a good shot at an award had they been here. This was a nice way to finish the regular season for the runners.” 

The last boy to win a medal was Matt Ford who was 19th at the Central Catholic Invitational in Pittsburgh, in 1994.

The rest of the Lady Cardinal squad, who placed 4th behind DuBois, Punxsutawney, and AC Valley, were Meghan Graeca, Liz Gankosky, Maddy Miscavish, Alex Ochs(28:48.5), Madison Miller, Michaela Armanini, Rachel Miller, Mercedes Raab & Madison Gill

“Alex had her best run of the season on a course that was not kind to most competitors in this race, and she was the lone Cardinal who had a PR today. It was great to see Meghan back in action after that long injury coming in third on the team. These girls have established team records that will give us a challenging benchmark for the future.”

The lone boy running for DCC was Len Swisher who was slowed down by an injury he suffered earlier in the season, but still managed to finish ahead of six AC Valley runners.

“Our district teams are pretty well established now, and the goal is to stay healthy, sharp, and rested as we work on some speed these next few days.”

The Cardinals end their regular season with 14 dual meet wins.

The District Nine Championships will be held on October 28, at the legendary Ridgway course.