Under a New Coach, DCC Baseball Hopes to Improve on Playoff Berth

Zachary Schoeneman, Editor

In recent seasons, the DuBois Central Catholic baseball team has had its fair share of success, including a District Championship victory only two seasons ago. This year’s squad, made up mostly of players from that District Championship team, have the experience to be able to reach those heights once again. The obvious goals for this season are to reach the playoffs, but this year’s team is determined to go even further than that by winning a District title of their own.

One drastic change from last season is a new coach. Despite former coach Andy Sayers deciding to not come back after last season, DCC was able to bring in rookie high school coach Adam Fox from St. Mary’s, who played in the Minor Leagues in professional baseball for nine years with both the Texas Rangers and the Washington Nationals, reaching the highest level of Minor League baseball, Triple A, before eventually retiring. He has had some experience, however, in coaching younger kids at the little league level. Coach Fox is embracing learning new things while also teaching the team some new things as well. Also new to the coaching staff is coach Dan “Wookie” Wascovich. Two coaches from last season, Dan Miknis and Denny Haag, were retained.

Despite changes happening to the coaching staff, the roster itself remains largely the same. While the team did lose leaders in Austen Cogley, Jackson Frank, Jonathon Dixon, and Michael Misiewicz to graduations, the core of the team is still intact, with seniors and juniors being found at every position on the field, as well as the bench. Led by senior Thomas Grecco and junior Justin Miknis, the team doesn’t lack in leadership at all. Another senior, Zach Schoeneman, is there to help keep things light around the dugout while also contributing when he can. Juniors Anthony Kness, Brandon Walker, Caleb Elias, Dominic Torretti, Garrett Prosper, Miknis, Noah Bloom, Peter Downer, Tyler McIntosh, Zach Edwards, and Zane Felix make up the bulk of the roster, with all of them being able to contribute to the team solidly in their own ways on a daily basis. Though there aren’t any sophomores, there are a fair share of freshman looking to get some time on the field and some experience of their own. Damon Foster, Dante Armanini, Ethan Kness, Loren Way, and Zach Spellin won’t exactly be there to just watch on the bench, as each one of them will be looking to get as much playing time as they can. This year’s primary scorekeepers will be juniors Kadin Danch and Max Forcey. Danch filled the same role last season, and this will be Forcey’s first year with the baseball team.

After finishing last year in the playoffs with a 13-5 record, the team is primed to make another run at a District title, and certainly has the firepower to be able to do just that. With Coach Fox being the new coach, there will be some changes. But, with the returning coaches and the amount of key players returning, don’t expect an immediate drop off in play from last season. The team has high expectations and playoff aspirations, and will be putting in the work necessary to achieve those goals. The first official practices begin in March, with the first game being in early April. We would like to wish the team the best of luck in the upcoming season, and be sure to come to their games and cheer the team on!