Cardinal Chatter

DCC Softball Team Heads into Playoffs Red Hot

Zachary Schoeneman, Editor

The DuBois Central Catholic Cardinal softball team is having another great season.  It’s become a winning tradition here at DCC for the softball team, as they have had great seasons for each of the last few years, this year being no exception. As of the writing of this article, the team is 17-1, with their only loss coming to DuBois in the City Classic. The Cardinals have defeated St. Mary’s, Clarion Area, Brookville, Johnsonburg twice, Brockway, Sheffield twice, Union, Cameron County, Coudersport, Kane twice, Elk County Catholic twice, and Curwensville twice. Five of those wins were shutouts, and 11 of them had the team giving up two or fewer runs. They’ve also scored in the double digits 11 times, including scoring over 20 four times. The team has scored 227 runs and allowed only 38 runs.

The team may have lost a few seniors from last year, but the play on the field hasn’t dropped off one bit. Led by senior Madison Nasuti and junior Ashley Wruble, the team hasn’t lost any momentum the team had in previous seasons. Wruble, the primary pitcher, has won 16 games this season with a 1.07 ERA and 93 strikeouts. Carley Semancik is the second starter, and has a 7.00 ERA in three game, which doesn’t do a good job of showing how well she has performed this season, as ERA can be deceiving. Nasuti has even made pitching appearances, throwing one inning while giving up three runs on four walks and two hits, both of them being doubles. She did, however, strike one person out.

While the pitching by Wruble and Co. has been sharp, the hitting is the main focal point of the team. Led by Wruble, who has hit .708 with 29 RBIs, six doubles, five triples, and five home runs, the team is currently hitting .455 with 20 home runs and 32 stolen bases. Freshman Mia Meholick has been huge for the Cardinals, having hit .600 with seven doubles, four triples, two home runs, and leads the team with 39 RBIs. Sophomore Shayleigh Gulvas has hit .524 with 11 RBIs, seven doubles, four triples, and one home run. While her numbers are deceiving pitching wise, Semancik’s hitting numbers speak for themselves. She has hit .500 with 25 RBIs, three doubles, three triples, and four homers, good for second on the team. Freshman Chelsea Busatto has hit .435 in her debut on the high school team, with 18 RBIs, a double, a triple, and three homers. Sophomore Maia Cogley has hit .407 with 12 RBIs and two doubles, with most of her hits being singles. Junior Alyssa Bittner has hit .365 on the year with 11 RBIs, two doubles, and a home run. Sophomore Jordy Kosko, while her average is low in comparison to others on the team (.333), her power is right up there with Busatto, Wruble, and Semancik, having hit three home runs this season with 19 RBIs and two doubles to go along with that. Junior Gabby Sabatose has hit .261 this year, with five RBIs, a double, and a home run. Senior Nasuti has hit .312 with five hits, six RBIs, and a double as well as excellently manning the outfield. Freshman Natasha Kunselman has played in 11 games and has hit .500, with two RBIs and a double. Sophomore Rachel Miller has hit .273 in 10 games, with three RBIs and one double. Freshman Michaela Armanini doesn’t have a hit yet this season, but she has scored three runs. Freshman Paris Farley is one for three on the year, having hit .333 this season with an RBI. Freshman Emily Joseph, a late addition to the team mid-season, has had only one at bat, but that at bat got her on base after she walked. She also picked up an RBI and scored a run as well. On the bases, the team went 32 for 33, with Busatto being the only one thrown out. Wruble stole nine bases, Kosko stole six, Cogley five, Gulvas four, Meholick three, Sabatose two, and Bittner, Busatto, and Semancik stole one each.

Winning has become a tradition for DCC softball, and this season certainly hasn’t disappointed. After a regular season record of 17-1, including some real thrashing and throttling of some teams, the team is primed to make another run at another district title, looking for three in a row. The team certainly has the talent to do that. The playoffs for the girls starts Wednesday, May 23rd, at the city field, though the team doesn’t know who they’ll be playing yet. The girls are the #1 overall seed in the playoffs, so they got a first round bye. We’d like to wish the entire team good luck for the playoffs and hopefully states beyond that, and we are proud of everything the girls do on the field and off of it.