Cardinal Chatter

The Final DCC Senior Spotlight of 2018: Zachary Schoeneman

Zachary Schoeneman, Editor

The final Senior Spotlight of the 2017-18 school year belongs to the author of all of the aforementioned spotlights, myself. I’ve been calling Central home since I came here as a sophomore in 2015-16. I’ve played baseball for the past two years, and although that’s the only sport I played an entire season for, I did go to one basketball open gym in my junior year. I’m currently involved with journalism, drama, Cardinal Chatter, and campus ministry. I was a member of the school chorus group my sophomore year, the Scholastic Challenge team the past two years, and I played Henry Meadowbrook in the senior class play, “Death By Chocolate.”

I enjoy spending my free time hanging out with my friends, listening to rock and metal music, watching my favorite baseball team, the Baltimore Orioles, play, and playing a baseball simulation game on my computer called Out of the Park Baseball. My favorite Central memories include the time that Sabrina Spencer broke my ankles at powderpuff practice junior year, making jokes in every class with my friends, all of the eventful and entertaining school lunches with my friends, talking about baseball with Mr. Rice and Mr. Harris, playing baseball the last two years, especially this year with Coach Adam Fox, Coach Dan “Wookie” Wascovich, Coach Dan Miknis, and Coach Denny Haag, and all of our school’s entertaining drama skits that have been put on. I plan on attending Canisius College in Buffalo, New York, hoping to get a degree in sports broadcast journalism. Ultimately, I’d love to be a sports writer or a broadcaster for a flagship station like ESPN, or something like that. For now though, I’ll just focus on something smaller than that.

My advice for the underclassmen is this: “Enjoy every second of every day. High school goes by really fast, so don’t take a single day for granted. Always try to find a way to make each day better, whether it’s making yourself laugh or someone else laugh.” There are a few things that I wish I had done here that I didn’t. I wish I had played baseball sooner than I did, I wish I had participated in a school musical, I wish that I hadn’t quit AP U.S. History, and I wish that I talked more during my sophomore year. Ultimately, the thing that I wish I did most of all was come to Central earlier, because I’m not lying when I say that I’ve enjoyed almost every day of my time at Central. Some of the best moments of my scholastic career have come from Central, and I can wholeheartedly say that I loved my time at Central, and wish that I could have another year here. I know that’s not exactly a typical response from a high school student, but it’s how I feel about Central. Thank you all for enjoying the articles that I’ve written this year for Cardinal Chatter, and hopefully next year’s writers will receive the same enjoyment in writing these as I have throughout this year.