Cardinal Chatter

Cardinals Medal at Punxy Cross Country Relays

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Aravich, Staff Writer

On a chilly, windy day the DCC Cardinals made their first-ever appearance at the special relay event hosted by Punxsutawney at the local country club. School records were established to challenge future harriers, while notable results were achieved by both teams.

This is a perfect kind of competition for this time of year when we are looking for shorter, faster workouts that utilize the fast-twitch muscles. Our goal with these meets is to bring times down in the post-season, so we are grateful that Punxsutawney offers this opportunity to have a bit of fun & excitement in the process.”(Coach Shade)

For the first time in 24 years the boys came home with medals from the work of the relay duo of Johnny Ritsick(8:27) & JP Piccirillo(8:42)) taking a fourth place amongst 20 teams from the five schools present.

It has actually been 25 years since DCC has had more than one medal won. In 1993 we saw two good runners, J.T. Arbogast & Toby Smreaker medal at the Central Catholic Invite in Pittsburgh, but it was Matt Ford who did so at the same place a year later. I hope Johnny & JP both see that they have the speed to do well in the post-season, because they proved it today.”

The team of Dylan Foster and Lenny Swisher came in 14th while 17th place went to Dante Armanini & Shane Paisley.

Each runner carried a baton to pass to their teammate, with each person racing 1.55 miles. Awards were given to outstanding duos, split times, and overall team score with a team being any 3 duos. Our boys came in fourth place as a full team, and Johnny just missed a split-time award by 5 seconds. It is good to see the kids gaining on their opponents through the season.”

The team of Emily(11:03) & Beth(12:23) Williams led the Lady Cards for a 14th place, followed by the teams of JoAnne Case(12:16) and Alex Ochs(12:43), Madi Gill and Madisan Miscavich(12:48), Maria Werner & Michaela Armanini, and the 5th team of Rachael & Maddy Miller.

It was great to have 5 teams of girls representing DCC. I saw Emily outrun opponents she previously lost to in the season as more proof that things are coming together as they should. We have a few more days to sharpen up, and those days are important. A few more steps to the summit.”

The Punxsutawney boys took the trophy for first overall, as did the St. Marys girls. The top male runner was Felix Bush of Mercyhurst Prep(8:15), while it was Samantha Hayes(9:14) of St. Marys for the girls.

The Cardinals move into post-season and will compete at the District Nine Championships with two full teams(7) for the second year in a row for the first time since 1979. The gun goes off at the fabled Ridgeway course in the morning.