DCC Mock Trial Team Prepares for Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sherry Anderson, Staff Writer

The 2019 Mock Trial competition gets underway this weekend at the University of Pittsburgh Mock Trial tournament, Saturday January 5th and 6th, in the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh.

This year, DCC is sending a prosecution and a defense team to the competition. The prosecution is represented by Anne Latuska, Harrison Starr, and Isaac Gray as attorneys with Rachel Miller, Madison Miller, Madison Mitscavich, Gwen Vida, JP Piccirillo, and Julianna Stine as witnesses. The defense case is being made by Max Forcey, Alex Ochs, and Ashley Mayes as attorneys and Logan Clancy, Leyton Mangiantini, and Jake Snyder as witnesses for the defense. The team is advised by Mrs. Korthaus and Ross Ferraro.

The case revolves around a charge of homicide against a doctor who prescribed an opiate that resulted in the death of his patient. Each side must present its case and participants are judged by their credibility as witnesses and the expertise of the attorneys in handling all elements of the case. The PA Bar Association Young Lawyers Division gives the case to all state high school participants and each school prepares for the tournament and for regional competition which begins in January.