DCC Track & Field Sees Both New and Returning Talent

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tom Shade, Contributor

The numbers remain at record levels for the DuBois Central Catholic track & field programs now in it’s 6th year under Coach Tom Shade who expects to see records continue to fall on both teams in 2019. Shade also expects realistic shots at more post-season hardware and something never seen before at DCC: state medals.

Leading the way where last season left off are the sprint and distance events with record-holders Linkin Nichols & Mariah Alanskas who performed at state-ranked levels in the 800 run and 200 meter dash, respectively, as sophmores in 2018. District medalist in the 1600, Jonny Ritsick, also returns with an eye on higher achievement.

“ Linkin was DCC’s closest ever to the state finals on the track in 2018, and Mariah ended her sophomore year with school record performances, and has taken the time to train this winter. Johnny is looking to break the 42 year 1600 mark still held by Mark Madere from 1977. Mark keeps in touch with the runners and supports the program after all these years, and has encouraged the athletes to take his name off the record boards. It is very inspiring.”

DCC has a slew of other distance potentials, including cross country stars Alex Dubay and J.P. Piccirillo, Madisan Bearfield, Jaci Mennetti, Emily Caliari, and Landon Schmader.

“Alex led her team in Brookville to the D-9 championship in cross country last season, while J.P. led the Cardinal boys in the post-season. Madisan, Jaci, Landan & Emily are going to give us notable performances based on what we’ve seen early on.”

Looking especially strong in the sprints are veterans Jon Schoeneman & Lenny Swisher, and Sara Koelhler, Owen Helms, Loren Way, Cater Nichols, Alexis Allen, Gabrielle Delzangle, Isaac Gray, Allie Cribbs, Brooke Franci, Maggie Schmader, Dylan Foster, Maddie Miller, Maddie Miscavish, and Jaden Kosko.

“We are very grateful for the help of Coach Andy Skraba on the track. He helps with all the block work and distance runners, and keeps practice moving forward. He has done a great job with the new runners.”

In the field are returning letter winners including some of DCC’s most talented performers in school history.

Record-holder Martina Swalligan will lead the 3 throwing events along with veteran Bella Magiantini and Isaac Painter. New teammates with good potential are Gabby Resch, Lauren Schmader, Brady Barnett, Jenna Ceriani.

“Martina is healing up from a winter sport injury but is still expected to set new school records in the throws. Bella has shown remarkable improvement from 2018 and she is already ranked in the all-time top ten throwers in all 3 events at DCC. I am very impressed how quickly Lauren, Jenna, & Gabby are progressing. Brady has shown a strong interest in the throws and is challenging us to help him learn.”

The Cardinals also expect new records in the pole vault from Westin Hrin, as well as challenges from Alex Ochs, Maggie Schmader, Alexis Allen, and Jaden Kosko.

“Things are shaping up for another good year for DCC Track with high numbers of participants in all event categories, and it will be exciting to witness how the teammates progress as athletes & individuals.”

The Cardinals open their season with a dual meet in Franklin on Tuesday.