Lady Cardinals Set Scoring Record at Windy Track & Field Tri-Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tom Shade, Contributor

The high winds were a blessing for some and a curse for others at the Punxy track in a tri-meet with St. Marys. A good number of the 28 personal records achieved by the Cardinal teams were in the sprints where the competitors appreciated the wind at their backs, whilre the distance runners felt the challenge of the forceful breezes.

“We saw 14 sprinters get PRs and only one distance runner, and we were not surprised. Unlike cross country all tracks are pretty much standard with the only real variant being the weather. An athlete can mentally overcome any weather condition, but it plays a factor. I think DCC can be proud of the fight they gave, at least if the scoring is an indicator.”(Coach Shade)

The Cardinal girl’s program scored the highest point total ever versus AAA St. Marys with the help of points leader Mariah Alanskas(100, 200, hurdles) who took 6 firsts on the day and easily led scoring amongst both teams. Alanskas is now ranked #3 in the all-time scoring lists for the Lady Cards, and is swiftly catching the #2 spot now held by the legendary jumping champion, Haley Frey, since 2016.

“Mariah has not had the chance to perfect her hurdles technique as of this date so we hope to see lots of improvement in the next few weeks. She easily has the speed to win a district medal and has already qualified in the 100 & 200 dashes.”

Other girls contributing to the record score include Sarah Koehler in the high jump with a new career record and fist place, as she inches her way forward toward a future school record as the freshman now has less than a foot for that milestone.

“Sarah has tons of potential and time enough to give the record a challenge in the coming years. Frey’s record of 5’2” is one of the state-ranked records on the DCC books, and a worthy goal.”

Koehler also scored in the long jump and hurdles.

Maggie Schmader swept the 300 hurdles and took two seconds in the pole vault, while teammate Lexie Allen took both first places in the vault.

Throws record-holder Martina Swalligan took a first in the discus and second in the shot, and Allie Cribbs raced for a second place in the high hurdles.

“The pole vault was special today as it marks the first time in DCC history we had a double win versus AAA schools in that event. We are grateful for the persistence & dedication that Lexis & Maggie show. It was a nice team effort for the girls as they also scored the second highest points ever against a Punxsutawney team.”

The Cardinal boys scored the third highest all-time versus St. Marys since the DCC program began in 1970, from the work of several teammates.

Jon Schoeneman & Linkin Nichols led the way in scoring. Schoeneman had a big day with 23 points and two career-best efforts(and wins) in the 100(11.97) and 200(24.47), and another win in the high hurdles.

“Jon does a nice job as team leader, so his contribution to the sport goes beyond just performance on the track. He is looking to qualify for post-season and gets closer every week as he improves. Linkin took 5 first places in the events that require both speed and endurance(1600, 800, 400) and he is keeping his options open for districts.”

Many of the boy’s squad did their part in the high scoring: Johnny Ritsick(1600, 800); Landon Schmader(1600, 3200); Isaac Painter(shot, discus); Shane Paisley had a first in the triple jump; J.P. Piccirillo(3200); and Loren Way powered his way in the sprints for two career records(100, 200).

Career records were also achieved by Isaac Bloom(100, 200); Owen Helm(100, 400); Cater Nichols(100, 400); Isaac Gray(100); Alex Ochs(100); Dylan Foster(400); Jaci Mennetti(1600); Cribbs(100 hurdles); Ian Koehler(shot); Gabby Resch reached #6 all-time in the shot & a career record in the javelin; Lauren Schmader(shot, discus, javelin)’ and Brady Barnett in the javelin.

The Cardinals travel to far away Smethport for a tri-meet with District 10 Eisenhower.