Cardinal Chatter

DCC Track Ends Dual Season With A Roar

Back to Article
Back to Article

DCC Track Ends Dual Season With A Roar

Tom Shade, Contributor

The DCC Track & Field teams ended their dual season with a bang in a two-team sweep of Union High School.
The Lady Cards, led by the 7 first places of sprinter Mariah Alanskas, nipped Union by two points. The wins take Alanskas over the 400-point mark in her career, putting her at the #2 all-time position in DCC history behind Cardinal sprinting star Riley Meyers of the 2014-17 Era.

In the field it was record thrower Martina Swalligan who powered out 4 first places and smashed her own school record in the discus throw(97’2”) and easily qualifying her for post-season competition on May 17.

“Martina is to be congratulated for a great throw and very worthy school record. The discus is arguably the most difficult event to master in track & field and it says much about her athletic gifts with that throw. The good news is that she has a lot more improvement to make, and there is a bigger throw waiting to come out.”

Swalligan’s record marks the 99th time that the DCC record books have been changed since 2014, spanning all 18 events, and establishing a phenomena unmatched in District Nine.

Other scorers for the Lady Cards in the sprints were Lexie Allen & Allie Cribbs who established a career-best in the 100 dash, as did Kylee Fink in the 400, and Emily Calliari in the 800 run. Others include Jaci Mennetti, Maggie Schmader and Sarah Koehler.

The girls 4×4 team, first against Union today(4:59), was the first since 2017 to compete and now ranks as the all-time #6 mile relay in school history.

Scoring in the field for the girls were Alex Ochs, Koehler, Allen, Lauren Schmader(big PR in the shot), Gabby Resch, and Bella Mangiantini.The Cardinal boys were led by Jon Schoeneman and Ian Koehler who both racked up a combined 10 first places in the field and track. Schoeneman moves up on the #6 all-time scoring chart, just 18 points behind Steve Fauls of the early 1970s Era.

Jon played a big role in the sprints again. He is the only DCC athlete I have ever known to have competed in all 11 track events, and some in the field. He has an aggressive approach to competition and serves as a good leader this way.”

Ian Koehler had a big day in the throws and as a member of the first place, all-time #8, 4×1 relay team(Koehler, Barnett, Hrin, Schmader). Koehler also achieved a sweep in the shot and discus against both Union & Cranberry, something not accomplished since at least the 1970s by any thrower on the boys team, if ever.
“It was a nice way for Ian to wrap up his season. We appreciate him sharing his talents for DCC.”

The near qualifying boys 4×8 team(Ritsick, Swisher, Schmader, Piccirillo) hit a 9:31 time which ranks as #7 all-time for the school, and the fastest time in this event since the 1975 team of Kenawell, Cathcart, Cherry & Madere.
“The 4×8 takes a ‘lets do it’ attitude, so we were proud to see it happen.”

Jalen Kosko hit a new PR in the high jump(5’6”) to take a win and move to a tie for the all-time #6 spot with both Peter Downer in 2017 and Randy Zbieg in 1976.

The boys 4×4 also made their mark as the all-time #6 team in DCC history as they scored a win.
Other boys who scored on the track were Kosko, Dylan Foster, Owen Helm(400 best), Weston Hrin, Brady Barnett, Way, Swisher(400 best).

In the field it was Landon Schmader getting a personal best in the shot, Hrin and Barnett.
Cranberry was also present in the Tri-meet. DCC and the ‘Berries’ last met up in 1975 and the Cranberry team out -scored the Cardinals then as well.

“It was a great way to move into the post-season portion of the season. When the smoke clears we will see a very notable 2 months of achievement by the two teams that will leave a challenging legacy.”

The Cards compete at the Redbank Invitational “last chance” meet where athletes from mostly small schools in District Nine will get a final try at qualifying for the post-season honors.