DCC Rifle Team is Ready for 2021 Season

Michaela Armanini , Writer

This year, DCC’s rifle team is growing in size and talent! Coach Bernie Snyder, who is a state policeman and has shot rifles his whole life, is celebrating his 8th year of coaching the rifle team this year. “We have a lot of talented students who have been on the team for many years as well as some very talented incoming students this year.”

Rifle is a very complex sport, and many people are unaware of the difficulty. “Rifle is a timed event, so every time that you shoot, you only have a few minutes for each position. When you’re in a more difficult position, such as a prone position (laid down), you get 10 minutes for 10 shots. If you’re in standing position, which is more difficult, you get 15 minutes to shoot those 10 shots. Anything you shoot past the time is time deducted,” Coach Snyder said.

“The sport itself is very difficult because it’s not like when you’re with your grandpa and are shooting a BB gun in the backyard. We shoot 33 feet away (distance from the line to the target); shooting rifle is like trying to shoot a pellet at the center of a life saver at 33 feet away,”  Coach Snyder said.

In most sports, you want to be as fast as you can. For example, in basketball and baseball, you want to have fast reflexes; but in rifle, you want to practice to slow your heartrate down by doing breathing exercises. “If you are shaking, you won’t be able to hit the target,” Coach Snyder explained.

Senior and team captain, Maddison Hannah, who has been on the rifle team for 6 years, especially appreciates the focus of individuality in rifle. “Since rifle is an individual sport, I have gotten to know the coaches over the years and enjoy the one-on-one time with them.” Maddison wants others to know that, “even though rifle might not look it, it’s a very physical sport due to holding the three positions, (prone kneeling, and standing), over long periods of time.

The rifle team’s existence is made possible by grants and donations. In February 2020, the NRA Foundation awarded the DCC Rifle Team a $2,980 grant to purchase two air rifles and conduct an air rifle safety class for the team and coaches. A fundraising campaign held in late Fall of 2020 raised $550 to date. These funds will be used for air rifle team supplies and also to match additional donations from the Midway Foundation. The MidwayUSA Foundation is a 501(c)3 public charity working to sustain and grow the shooting sports industry by providing long-term funding to youth shooting teams. Every donation allows the Foundation to assist in expanding and enhancing the leadership skills, confidence, and discipline of today’s youth through shooting sports activities.

DCC’s rifle team embarks on their first match of the season today against Dubois Area High School. The event will stream live on the NFHS network. The DCC family wishes them a good season!

Dubois Central Catholic Rifle Team Roster:

Varsity                                                       

• Maddison Hannah (12)                                       
  • Derek Strouse  (12) 
  • Taven Lukehart  (11)                                           
  • Hayes Cooper (11)                                                                                 
  • Colin Micknis  (11)                                           

Junior Varsity                                                 

• Garrett Porter (10)
  • Brady Snyder (9)                                                                                              
  • Barak Clouser (9)                                                
  • Candace Andres (9)                                           
  • Nathan Irwin (9)                                                    

Junior High

• Andrew Reiter (8)
  • Tristan Sedor (8)                                                  
  • Jack Roy (8)   
  • Damien Mullins (8) 
  • Mitchell Klark (8)
  • Caleb Benson (8)                                                         
  • Elle Osterman (7)                                                                             
  • Tessa Shaffer (7)                                                
  • Logan Clouser (7)                                              
  • Christian Pifer (7)                                           
  • Ellie Gow (7)