Middle School STREAM Readies Students for the Real World

Students Glowforge Name Plates

Allison Robinson, Senior Photographer

Middle school STREAM is a trimester rotation for 8th grade. What does S.T.R.E.A.M. stand for? “STREAM stands for science, technology, robotics, engineering, art, and math,” Mrs. Osterman said.

S.T.R.E.A.M. is important because it pervades every part of our lives. Science is everywhere in the world around us. Robotics is a practical application of automation, and one that is rapidly scaling and will be a part of future careers. Technology is continuously expanding into every aspect of our lives. Engineering is the basic designs of roads and bridges, but also tackles the challenges of changing global weather and environmentally-friendly changes to our home. Art surrounds life, all people in every location, without us being aware of it. Mathematics is in every occupation, every activity we do in our lives.

“This class explores each of the STREAM topics through projects, activities, and real-world applications. Projects include coding, web design, graphic design, engineering, and manufacturing,” Mrs. Osterman said.

By exposing students to STREAM and giving them opportunities to explore concepts, they will develop a passion for it and hopefully pursue a job in a STREAM field.

For one project, students use Tinkercad 3D modeling software to create things that they can later laser out using the Glowforge. After the students complete their nameplate piece for practice, we team up with the DECA class. The DECA class develops product concepts to market and sell, and the STREAM class becomes the manufacturer. “It’s a real-world experience in working with a client, producing a prototype, and manufacturing a finished product,” Mrs. Osterman said.

How can students apply this to life? “STREAM encourages students to explore future career applications as well as challenge them to think differently by using problem solving, tinkering, and collaboration,” Mrs. Osterman said.