DCC Cardinals Take Home 8 Medals at Districts for Track and Field

Tom Shade, Contributor

On the very same track where the DCC 4×4 record was set in 2016, a new team of Cardinal runners who had never known track & field before this year etched their names into the DCC school records. It was a steady climb of two months that involved conditioning, baton skills, and building the team work needed to crack the record that many thought wouldn’t be broke in their lifetimes. The now previous 2016 mark(4:21.48) was set by 4 legendary athletes, a team of upper classmen who were highly respected and accomplished in their sports that included Jordy Frank of sprinting and softball fame; champion hurdler and soccer star Riley Meyers; the 400 meter record holder Kaitlyn Morelli, and the formidable Cassie McAllister who was a terror in both hurdle events. The 2021 crew earned a district bronze medal along with their school record.  The 4 sophomores who earned the historic relay mark(4:21.00)were Sophia Rooney(lead leg), Madelyn Schmader, Chloe Benden, and Faith Jacob(anchor).

Madelyn Schmader also won a 5th-place medal for her personal best run (1:05.08) in the 400 meter dash, while teammate Faith Jacob took home a 6th place medal for her fastest-ever 100 meter high hurdle race(17.81) in the finals that pushed her into the top three all-time listing in that event passing Mariah Alanskas’ place from the 2019 season. Alanskas holds the 200 meter dash record for DCC.

Landon Schmader ran a personal record (2:05.72) in the 800 meter run and took a bronze medal for his work. In the race Schmader came 2-tenths of a second from a silver medal and a trip to the state championships. Landon also competed in the 1600 meter run and the 3200 run in the warm temperatures on the track.

Micah Williamson closed out his first track season with a personal record (2:09.22) in the 800 meter run and a 6th place medal. The good run by Williamson pushed him into the #5 spot on the all-time list in this event passing Dan Kunkle’s run of the 1972 season.

Loren Way jumped into the coveted 20-foot club with a nice personal record (20’ 2”) in the long jump that marks him forever as a district finalist in the event. Only two other DCC athletes have jumped beyond 20 feet since 1970. Way will be jumping in the NCAA at Lock Haven University next Spring.

Kylee Fink, a senior, completed the best-ever performance for any Cardinal pole vaulter in the post-season with a 7-foot jump. The 6th place jump in the event was also at 7 feet.

Alex Jenkins also competed in the 200 meter dash and ends his career as one of the highest point scorers in a single season. Chloe Benden also ran the 800 meter race prior to her relay performance.

Madelyn Schmader led the Lady Cards in scoring at districts and leaves her first season as the all-time high scorer (351) in a single season, taking over the spot owned by Riley Meyers for the last 4 years.

The DCC Track & Field awards and recognition event will be held in June.