DCC Students Design and Construct Projects with Fab Lab

Students in first through eighth grades had an opportunity to design and construct projects with the Carnegie Science Center’s BNY Mellon Mobile Fab Lab  which visited DCC this past week.  The mobile lab brings in-depth digital fabrication to schools creating a maker space that gives students the opportunity to experience STEM-based lessons.  Students in all grades were able to take a project from conception to fabrication.

For each engineering challenge, students worked in teams to design, prototype, and test projects. The challenges used basic making materials as well as digital fabrication machines so that students were introduced to the software and hardware capabilities of the Mobile Fab Lab.

One of the machines that presenter, Benjamin Kusserow, used throughout the day was the Epilog Laser Mini, a $15,000 machine which cuts anything. Using this tool students in grades 1-4 made gliders, 5th and 6th graders made chariots or carts for spheros robots to deliver items, and 7th and 8th graders built bridges that spheros could roll under and that could hold the weight of a full water bottle.

According to Benjamin Kusserow, “By working on a computer and building the product, students who flourish on a computer and those who flourish by doing with their hands are reached.”