BCAT Art joins DCC

Morgan Tyler

Starting this school year (2021-22), DuBois Central Catholic has partnered with the Brockway Center for Arts and Technology (BCAT) to provide students with new artistic opportunities in the classroom.

The program acts as a class just like any other and counts as an art credit for students, while also being an extension of BCAT. The classroom is characterized by simple décor to create a calm atmosphere that allows creativity to flourish.

In the high school, students have learned about color theory, art history, perception, and metal work. Classes have also contributed to lots of colorful art projects around the building. Most recently, they drew characters from Candyland for Catholic Schools Week. The art students are looking forward to learning about ceramics in the upcoming weeks. In elementary, students have learned basic art theories and created lots of holiday-themed projects.

BCAT is a non-profit focused on bringing the arts and other job training to rural areas including  Clearfield, Elk, Jefferson, Cameron, McKean, Clarion, and Potter counties. It is a replication of the Manchester Bidwell Corporation of Pittsburgh, founded by CEO Bill Strickland.

The DCC program is headed by Mrs. Nicole Snyder. “I missed the age group from K-12, so I’m enjoying the best of both worlds now,” Mrs. Snyder said of being involved in both DCC and BCAT. “We follow Bill Strickland’s mission: to incorporate youth with the arts, to inspire art, to hopefully have artists in the future.”

BCAT also offers an after-school program at its headquarters in Brockway, where students can access foreign mediums and even more artistic guidance.