A New Face at DCC…

DCC welcomes new emotional support guinea pig to the Guidance Office

Morgan Tyler

Meet Russell, the newest furry resident of Central. He is a male guinea pig that was rescued in Erie, PA and made a long journey to his new home here in DuBois. Russell is very calm, soft, and lovable. He is also quite large.

He now has a place in the guidance office with Ms. Snyder. “It makes me happy knowing something so small like a guinea pig can brighten someone’s day just by knowing he is here,” Ms. Snyder said. “He is not actually trained or certified like a dog would be, but he definitely has the magic touch to help anybody in their worst moments.”

In addition to counseling, academic planning, and social/emotional development in the guidance office, students can now spend time with Russell when feeling stressed, overwhelmed, or just in need of a furry pal. According to Ms. Snyder, animals can improve student’s emotional and mental health and teach them compassion and responsibility.

Russell is not the first pet to come to the building; second grade teacher Mrs. Loudon has a hamster in her classroom as well.

Students are expected to wash their hands after holding Russell and before returning to class. Students are also encouraged to keep their distance if they have a known allergy to guinea pig fur.

Welcome to the Central family, Russell!