12 Cardinals Adjust Hall of Fame Books at Redbank Track Meet

Tom Shade, Contributor

Officials rushed the meet in an attempt to avoid the coming storm in a rare dual meet contest with Redbank Valley & Keystone: a meeting that has occurred only one other time for DCC in the modern era: last season.

The attempt to beat the weather almost succeeded until the last event(4×4) was cancelled. However, the next to last event, the 3200 meter run, was completed with historic consequences for DuBois Catholic.

Freshman Zoe Puhala raced perhaps the most inspired distance contest of the season as she not only qualified in the 3200 and set a ninth grade record in doing so, but also broke the 2016 school record in the event once held by former standout Meghan Graeca. During the 2014-17 DCC track & field era Graeca’s name was synonymous with distance running, but there is little doubt that a new period of the long runs has begun.

Maddie Schmader led the Lady Cards with 30 points as she claimed 6 first places in wins over both schools in the 800(2:42), 1600, and as part of the winning 4×8 team with Sophia Rooney, Chloe Benden, and Bailey Franci.

The boys were led by senior Micah Williamson who scored 20 points with total wins in the 800 & 1600.

Faith Jacob won the 100 meter dash along with a first & second in the 200. Jacobs also set a personal record as part of the 4×1 squads that also included Savannah Ross, Chloe Benden,  Puhala, Hope Jacob,Tehya Shaw, Lauren Jenkins, Anna Brubaker, Franci, Sara Boland, & Lexi Allen.

Kyan Peck was another high scorer with his Hall of Fame jump (8’6”) in the pole vault, and the 400 dash. Peck missed the freshman record by only 6 inches in the vault.

Landon Schmader won the 3200 and scored well in the 400 dash.

Hope Jacob battled her way to a rare tie for first in the high jump(4’11”) in a drawn out &  exciting contest with the Redbank jumper, while taking the first place over Keystone. Jacob also scored in the 200 dash.

Eva Bloom took a total win with a personal record heave (30’ 1”) in the shot as she comes close to a district qualification. Bloom also threw the discus to a #7 all-time toss(72’) for a third place.

Javelin thrower Braylee Lukehart(72’) is now at #9 all-time with that huge improvement.

Madisan Mortimer also grabbed a first in the low hurdles(57:03) to claim a #8 spot in the DCC Hall Of Fame in this challenging event. Mortimer also hit personal best runs in the 200, 4×1, and the 1600.  Sophia Rooney took a #9 spot in the Hall in the same event (300) while taking in 2 points for the Cardinals.

Johnny Varischetti pumped out a big PR in the shot(31’11”) to break the freshman record in the strongman event. The ninth grade mark was previously owned by Dakota Malgrem.

Other scorers tonight included Eva Bisbey(400); Piccirillo(800,1600) and Andrew Reiter(high jump).

Personal records were also set by Bisbey(100, 400); Benden(4×1, 200); Alyssa Yanek(200); Reagan Gelnette(long & triple jump); Jed Manno(1600); Sara Boland(shot); Lauren Schmader (discus); Franci(discus); Shaw(javelin); The boys 4×8 team of Tristen Coder,Manno,Jack Roy, & Schmader; Cooper Hayes(shot & discus); Tristen Sedor(discus) and Colton Ross(javelin).

The final dual meet of the season takes place at Johnsonburg on Thursday, then next week on to the Redbank “Last Chance” Invitational for those who qualify.