DCC Track Team Has Record Breaking Meet in Johnsonburg

Tom Shade, Contributor

It was the final dual meet of the season and the DCC Cardinals went out in a roar with 3 explosive new school records, news-making personal records, and sweeps over the Rams of Johnsonburg.

The Lady Cards once again outscored the Rammettes 71-60 in their 7th meeting since 2016. The boys have met 14 times with Johnsonburg since 1970 with a win roughly 5 years ago, and a loss today.

Dominating the news of the day were 3 electrifying school records that were as welcomed as they were unexpected.

In one of the most excellent displays of tactical running this season Maddie Schmader dug deep to pass the highly regarded Ram runner Adria Magnusson in a gut-wrenching final 100 meters in the 800 meter race. Schmader’s 2:32 masterpiece broke the 2004 record set by Nichelle Hoover(2:34) during the early days of DCC’s modern track program. Schmader managed to cut off an impressive 7 seconds from her personal best run to achieve the historic mark. Schmader not only ran on an additional first place 4×4 team today(Sophia Rooney, Faith Jacob, Benden), but was also part of the incredible school record 4×8 relay event that started the meet.

In one of the great quarks of DCC track history the girls 4×8 team of Hope Jacob, Schmader, Zoe Puhala & Rooney, who had never run together in this event, found themselves without competition from the Johnsonburg girls relay team. As a result the officials allowed the DCC boys & girls to race against each other in the 3200 relay. The Lady Card team seemed motivated to show the boys what they could do and went on to barley outrun the boys with a faster time(10:42) and consequently destroyed the previous girls record set earlier this year by a slightly different team composition. The shattering performance was not known until well after the meet had ended.

Freshman Alyssa Yanek became one of the great stories of perseverance & faith this season as she tied the school record in the pole vault(7’6”) after having no confidence in the event just 2 months ago. The record came at the end of the meet when all other events had finished. Few took Yanek as a serious vaulter a month ago, but her quiet, hard work all season paid off.

Sophia Rooney and Maddie Schmader led the Lady Cards in scoring with Rooney also winning her first low hurdles race(55.3) along with the relays.

Kyan Peck had the most points of any cardinal today(18) by winning the 300 hurdles, the 400, and as part of the winning 4×4 team(3:49) of Andrew Reiter, Landon Schmader & Angello Piccirillo, then taking a second in the pole vault.

Total sweeps by DCC occurred against the Rams in the 4×4, 1600, and the 4×8 relay.

Both Rooney and Alexis Cribbs changed the Hall Of Fame books in the low hurdles. Rooney’s personal record (55.3) puts her at #7 while the #9 spot goes to Cribbs(58.3) on the historic list.

Micah Williamson took 2 wins(800/1600), and Hope Jacob won the high jump.

Reagan Gelnette won the long jump and scored in the high jump, then went on to to reach a first place and milestone in the triple jump(30’2.5”) as she climbs toward a district qualification.

Two additional big PR’s occurred in the shot with a two foot increase(Sara Boland), and another two foot improvement in the javelin(Braylee Lukehart) that pushes her to #6 all-time in the Hall Of Fame.

Other scorers today were Puhala(100 dash), F.Jacob(200 dash), H.Jacob(200), Mortimer(1600, 300), Brubaker(1600), C.Ross(100), Piccirillo(800,4×8), Lauren Schmader(shot & discus), Roy(1600,3200,4×8), Landon Schmader(3200, 4×8), Gelnette(high jump), Benden(pole vault), and Lukehart(javelin).

Personal records were also set by 100 meter runners(yanek, Bisbey, Michalsky, Jenkins, Shaw, C.Ross); 200 runners(Cribbs & Brubaker); 1600 runner (Brubaker); Shot put(Cooper) and the javelin(Elensky).

The “Last Chance” Redbank Invitational will kick off the post-season on Thursday.