Cardinals Soar at State Track Meet

Cardinals Soar at State Track Meet

Tom Shade, Contributor

The night before their state championship race the members of the Lady Cardinal 1600 meter relay team: Hope Jacob, Madelyn Schmader, Chloe Benden & Faith Jacob, were asked what the goal was for tomorrow. Their answer: “PR”.

Shaving an incredible 5 seconds off their school record(4:11.09) the girls 4×4 did something no other DCC individual or relay team has done at the PIAA meet: place 11th. Only shot- putter Joey Varischetti came closest with a 12th place in 2016.

Lead runner Hope Jacob started with a blazing sub-63 second split in the first lap, far surpassing her previous times all season, before handing off to Madelyn Schmader for the 2nd leg of the race. Schmader gained tremendous ground on the competition with a fast split to the 3rd leg Chloe Benden who displayed the familiar fiery determination to maintain the team’s place amidst her statewide opponents today. As hoped, anchor runner & DCC record-holder in the 400, Faith Jacob, ran another excellent final split to cut past enough runners to complete the historic race.

Prior to today the best state place for a DCC relay team belonged to the girls 4×1 team of Wright, Witherow, French & Ridenour of the 2011 season who were silver medalists at districts, and placed 21st at states. But as was so typical of this season it was another record put aside.

Faith Jacob also competed in the 400 meter dash(61.67) nearly tying her record run from earlier in the season for 19th place. She ends her junior year having amassed two school records and Hall of Fame status in nearly all sprinting events, and the high jump.

State qualifier in the high jump, Hope Jacob, had a good showing in that event in the early hours of the meet, proving she belonged among Pennsylvania’s finest jumpers.  Jacob managed to clear her first two heights before just grazing the bar at five feet for a miss and a 16th place: the best showing of any DCC high jumper in the past.  She ends her memorable 1st season with the freshman record(5’1”), a gold at Redbank, and a silver at Districts.

The 2022 Cardinal track & field season was a time of uncommonly high achievement in all event categories resulting in school & freshmen records, dual wins, and an unusually high number of Hall of Fame entries.

The annual banquet/awards celebration will take place at DCC in June.